Thursday, October 7, 2010

Season going well, but along way from being successful..

So, after a few days reflection on the weekend and the outcome of my race, I thought that I would pen a race report.

I am still in a little disbelief that I won my age group, yes that's right, had my first "W" in tri's. This follows up from my 2nd place at Yeppoon 1/2 Ironman 6 weeks prior.

The conditions did not ease up at all over the weekend and on race morning, it just continually rained and rained and rained. I was lucky with the way the transition was set up that I didn't have to worry about my gear getting wet as I was in the underground car park.

So, with the worries of the cracked frame from the previous day, good mate Ross from http://www.therunningshop.com.au/ suggested that he bring his bike along for me in case mine was deemed unsafe to ride on. A quick dash into transition to grab my bike and get some expert advice from Jason Shortis it was decided that my bike would not crack anymore and that it would be better for me to ride my own bike instead of riding Ross's.

From there I added some tape to the frame as oer the following photos, more probably for piece of mind opposed to preventing further damage!!




So, wheeling my back into transition, I was told that I couldn't check my bike in on race morning. After convincing the Man on the gate that I had to get a safety clearance on my frame before I could race, he let me through to set up my transition area.
With the confidence from Jason Shortis and the little bit from the tape, I was pretty sure that I would get through the race with the bike in 1 piece.
With the transition area set up and having a good location for exit and entry I left to put the wetty on and get ready for the race.
My swim training had been coming along quite well and I was sure that I could find a good group to start with and hold for the entire distance. Once the horn started and with arms and legs going everywhere, I held strong and found some feet to jump on for the swim. Once around the first buoy, as per normal the swim settles down and I was able to find my rhythm. Little did I know that I wasn't in the front group, but lucky my tow took me there by the time 500-600m had passed. I had to work to stay with this group, however was comfortable enough to know that I could hold them until the end. Swim time 27.48min......new PB for me.
So with exiting with a group of 8-10 guys, I got in and out of T1 in good time to allow myself a clean start on the bike. The rain was now pouring and vision was very minimal. Taking the corners easy was my mindset as I had no intention of laying my bike down on its side at all. Being a 2 lap bike and not quite an out and back course, it was hard to get a gauge of position. Knowing that no-one had passed me for the bike ride I was confident that I could start the run in a decent position. Bike time 2hr 24min + some. Not my fastest bike time, however was fastest in my age and due to the conditions, I was very happy with this split.
Onto the run. I found legs really early in the run and managed to get into a good comfortable stride. By watching my Garmin, I went through 10km in 39min 20sec and felt really good doing this. I knew from not having a taper that at some stage my legs would get heavy and I would have no choice but to slow. After going though 15k in under the hour mark I was really happy with how things were progressing. From 16k til 19k I hit a flat spot and my mind was arguing with my legs about trying to get back into 4min k pace. So I pumped in some HAMMER gels and my legs and body came good. Around the 18.5k mark and with only 2.5 k's to go, my mind won that battle and I was able to finish off strong. Crossing the finish line, I knew that I had a great race and I would be in contention for the top couple in my age, however did not even consider that I might have won my age group. Run time 1 hr 26min + some PB by 5min.
Total time 4hr 18min + PB by 5min also.
Once the race was done and dusted I packed up and made my way back to the hotel, where Scott from www.xosize.com.au text me to inform me that I had won, not just won, but by 7mins. I was in a little disbelief, but satisfied with his message to know that I had just won my first race.
After having a great start to my season, I am satisfied at my results, however these two races only show me that things are headed in the right direction. I have one more race in my Ironman preparation before WA Ironman, where my result in the Ironman will determine if I have had a successful season.
A quick thanks to David from Hammer for helping me out with some goodies on race weekend, Ross from the running shop for the shoes and the stand by bike. But most of all Scott from Xosize for his ongoing support.
With regards to my "flying machine". Well she has been taken to the shop for an upgrade...Sorry girl but we did go out in style!!
For Now...
X-Man
Also, I look forward to my new Erox Wetsuit which should arrive in time for Shepparton, cheers Florian!!

No comments:

Post a Comment